CollegePundit

If I'm linked, I'm awesome!

Monday, March 28, 2005

Enough.

Easter Sunday marks, roughly, the tenth day that Terri Schiavo has gone without food or water since the court order to remove her feeding tube last Friday. With legal options thoroughly exhausted, even the Schindler's are largely acknowledging that Terri doesn't have much of a chance of judicial relief. They've been urging supporters / protestors to not try and storm the hospice to bring food or water, whereby getting themselves or, in some cases, children arrested. That is absolutely aggravating - sending a child to do something like that that puts them at risk. No political / social movement should ever do that, but that's for another day.

The good news out of this is that Terri has been allowed (I write this with gritted teeth) to receive Communion, as part of a sort of last sacred rite before she dies. That, to me and I'm sure many others, is a relief that he religious beliefs are finally being respected. It only took, what, fifteen years?

CNN and Fox report that Terri supporters are going to Washington to demand that Congress enforce their subpoenas , which were squashed as soon as they were ordered by the courts. Frankly, I don't see the point, and I don't think they're going to go very far with this. The very thing that they swore they were not going to do - play politics in regards to Terri Schiavo - is going to start happening the picosecond they enter any congressional or executive office to state their case. Let's face facts : thirty appeals in the courts didn't net any results for the Schindlers and, despite Congress' effort to give them the avenue of taking their case to the federal courts, they are unlikely to succeed even now.

I don't like saying it as much as anyone else, but Terri Schiavo is going to die of starvation. She will hopefully just quietly slip into a coma, quietly pass from this world, and meet the Lord. That is the best that we can hope and pray for her to happen. Yes, how she died will be absurd, unbearable to think of in a country where that sort of thing is heresy in the public canon. Breaking the law by trying to break into the hospice, placing a bounty on a judge's head, or holding up a gun store to lead an armed invasion does not further the cause. Just stop, please.

Terri Schiavo will, barring a miracle and change of heart in the judiciary, die of starvation. She will pass from a lack of food and water, but she will not have died from a lack of love and concern from her family, her friends, and those who have supported her and her family throughout this entire ordeal. We can only marvel at the level of support those people have shown for her.

This will, in all likelihood, be the last post I will have on this subject - I don't see this going on for much longer, and I don't feel like I can change many opinions by being upset any more. I, personally, want to thank the other bloggers who have put up their own thoughts on this subject, and have followed it for as long as they have. I know that not everyone agrees with what was said here, elsewhere, or wherever - that can be considered water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. I can only hope and pray that those who have lost their way, or have taken a controversial tack (political mud-slinging, namely), can find their way back. I know I've done a bit of mud-slinging on my own, and I regret doing that. I let myself get too caught up in the emotion of the story, and not so much as the reality - something I'll have to work harder to avoid later on.

At the end of the day, I still remember that I blogged about this because I cared about what happened to someone - and that was what was most important to me. Happy Easter, everyone.
|